Update Jan 10, 2019: Found Safe
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Thirteen-year-old Jayme Closs, who went missing almost three months ago from her Wisconsin home, was located alive Thursday evening, according to the Barron County Sheriff’s Office.
Authorities say a suspect has been taken into custody in connection with the case. The investigation remains active.
Hair: Blonde/Strawberry Blonde
Weight: 100 lbs.
Last Seen: October 15, 2018
The morning Denise and James Closs were shot dead in their Wisconsin home, someone dialed 911 from Denise Closs’ cellphone.
A 911 dispatcher heard “a lot of yelling” in the call, which came in just before 1 a.m. Monday, according to sheriff’s department records.
The dispatcher called back but was unable to leave a voicemail. More attempts were made. The phone went unanswered. Officials also tried to reach the home’s landline but it was disconnected, according to Barorn County Sheriff’s Department records obtained by ABC News Friday.
When authorities responded to the home in Barron, they found the door kicked in, records showed.
Denise Closs’ husband, James Closs, had answered the door.
Multiple rounds were fired and the couple was found shot dead.
Their 13-year-old daughter, Jayme Closs, was believed to be home at the time of the killings but had been abducted by the time police arrived minutes later, according to authorities.
Friday marks the fifth day of the desperate search for the girl who authorities say is in danger.
Since Monday authorities have received over 1,000 tips and conducted hundreds of interviews in the search for Jayme, Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said Friday.
The sheriff is also asking the public for information about her family.
“We are hopeful to learn more about the Closs family to help bring Jayme home,” Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said in a statement. “If you spent time with members of the Closs family recently, or if you have ever had a misunderstanding with members of the Closs family, or know someone who has, please call the tipline.”
Update Nov. 6, 2018
The search for a missing 13-year-old Barron County girl is moving away from a 24/7 emergency operation, Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said Thursday.
Authorities have been seeking Jayme Closs ever since the girl’s parents, James and Denise Closs, were found shot to death Oct. 15 in their Barron area residence and Jayme missing from the home.
The sheriff said the number of tips in the case has been declining.
Investigators believe Jayme was abducted and ruled her out as a suspect in her parents’ killings.
“Again, just because the posture of our operations center has transitioned, does not mean the tips should stop. We still have a team on-call, to handle them as they come in. Please continue to call in your tips — there is a tip out there that will help us solve this case and bring Jayme home.”
A $50,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to Jayme. Anyone with information about the slayings or Jayme’s disappearance is asked to call a tip line at 855-744-3879 or 911.
— Live PD on A&E (@OfficialLivePD) October 20, 2018
Check out these custom camouflage T shirts from Tom Morris Jr! Proceeds go to the NCMEC!